Sports Premium Funding
At Bonneygrove Primary School we are passionate about sports and recognise the importance that physical activity has on children’s lives. We believe that a well organised and engaging sports curriculum helps children develop confidence and a sense of achievement, it teaches young children how to rise to a challenge, and nurtures the character and skills that will help them get on and succeed in life.
We aim to provide a positive and engaging experience in physical education at our school. The School Sport Premium will ensure that children are physically active and excited about ‘Sport’ at Bonneygrove. As well as increasing fitness we hope that children will appreciate team work and a healthy lifestyle. This funding provides the foundations which will allow children to develop a sporting habit for life!
What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding of £150 million per annum to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school Head Teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
Our school will receive £8,000 plus a premium of £5 per child each year up until 2020. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools. The money will be used so that all children benefit regardless of their sporting ability.
Our aim at Bonneygrove
At Bonneygrove we want all of our children to enjoy healthy and fulfilling lives. We want our children to enjoy participating in physical activity, understanding its benefits whilst fulfilling their potential and developing exemplary sportsmanship.
We encourage participation through:
- Building the capabilities and competencies of our teachers to deliver high quality games and PE lessons to develop skills and fitness
- Developing a range of extra-curricular and lunchtime clubs around the school day including: Speed stacking, football, netball, cheerleading, street dance, gymnastics, stretch and grow.
- Taking opportunities across our curriculum for children to enjoy active and healthy activities
- Swimming is part of our curriculum across Lower Key Stage 2
- Organising an annual Sports Days allowing all children the opportunity to participate and compete against other children
We also encourage high levels of participation in sports and competition through:
- Delivery of a high quality games and PE curriculum where children regularly have the chance to participate and compete against one another in a competitive sporting environment
- A range of sports competitions which include: cross country, football, netball, speed stacking, cricket, athletics.
- We are members of the WDPSSA and A10 which have a programme of inter-school competitions for a range of sports
- Participation in the local Football and Netball leagues for children in KS2
- Our children compete at all levels – intra-school, inter-school and at county level.
- Excellence is achieved through supporting children to work with other sporting organisations – e.g. Saracens
- We celebrate all our childrens’ sporting achievements through sports newsletters, assemblies and recognition in our trophy cabinet and make sure that keeping active and healthy remains central to our vision.
To see how at Bonneygrove we have used our sports premium funding please view the plans below.